Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A Debut of Sorts: Straws


Submitted for the approval of the Bones Schmones Society, I call this story "The Tale of Straws"...

The first know straws were made of long, hollowed out pieces of grass by the Sumerians for drinking beer. Straws that you and I are used to nowadays were patented in 1888 by a jolly fellow named Marvin C. Stone. There are many different types of straws. Bendy straws, crazy straws, spoon straws, candy straws, mini straws (for juice boxes), cereal straws, etc. One thing I love about straws is how great they make everything taste. What is with these things? No matter what you are drinking, if it comes through a straw, it is going to be a whole new beverage. I hope you all enjoy straws as much as I do.

your new friend,

Mike

p.s. I want to note that this week is full of holidays...

Today: Bones Schmones founder, Kate Humphreys' Birthday!
Wednesday: Veteran's Day! Celebrate with our pal Joseph Ambrose
Thursday: BONES DAY!

celebrate!!

3 comments:

  1. Mike, this is the single greatest peice of writing in the world.

    You could fill Bill Gates house with things I didn't know about straws and you have really shed some light on a vastly underrated subject.. the straw. love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to hurry out and buy a handful of straws this instant!

    ReplyDelete